- West Virginia English teachers of grades K-12
- Teachers can be nominated by students, peers, members of their community, or self-nominated.
- The nominee must be an active, full-time teacher with at least three years of experience.
- Nominated teachers must fill out an application, and a judging committee (comprised of past winners, members of the WVCTE Executive Committee, and others from the educational community) reviews applications and selects the winners.
- Nominees cannot be members of the WVCTE Executive or Conference Committees during current planning year.